Your MatchGirl and Boyfriend do so live to entertain, gentle readers. Below, we offer some handy tips that will get you started along the path of being the perfect host.
- Have drinks and snacks ready when your first guests arrive. Offer to take their coat. Offer a glass of water or wine or a cup of coffee. Make them feel at home. If they are good friends, perhaps they will help themselves, but make it clear that what's yours is theirs (at least for the day!).
- Talk to everybody. Hosting a party means you need to ensure that everyone you've invited, and anyone they may bring along, is having a good time. Check in with each guest several times over the course of your event.
- Plan ahead so you're not in the kitchen the whole time. Prep as much as possible the evening before and the morning of your party. This way you can circulate throughout the room, chat with everyone, have a bite of food and something to drink and not have to worry about how long the dish has been in the oven or how many vegetables you still have to chop.
- Clean as you go. Obviously, don't excuse yourself to go and do a sink full of dishes, but do take the time to wash, wipe and toss out as you go about the evening.
- Enjoy yourself! Just because you're the hostess (or host) with the most, doesn't mean you can't have a good time at your own soiree. Once the guests have arrived, remember that the party is as much for you as it is for them.
What are your top host or hostessing tips?
Photo: Our friends Gabe and Fidlema have a killer bar.
Post a Comment